It’s important to have properly adjusted side mirrors on your car. Not only will this help you see other vehicles on the road, but it will also give you a better view of your own car. Here are some tips on how to adjust your car’s side mirrors:
For side mirrors that require manual adjustment
- Park your car in a safe place where you can safely get out of your vehicle and access the side mirrors.
- Get out of your car and stand next to the mirror you want to adjust.
- Use your hand to move the mirror up, down, or sideways until you can see the side of your car in the mirror.
- Once you’re satisfied with the adjustment, get back in your car and sit in the drivers seat. Check to see if the mirrors are adjusted correctly. You should be able to just see the edge of your own car. You should not need to move your entire body in order to get a good view from each side mirror.
For side mirrors that are power-operated
If your side mirrors are power-operated, the process is a little different.
- Find the adjustment switches on your car’s door panel or dashboard. This will vary depending on the make and model of your vehicle, so consult your owner’s manual if you’re not sure where to look.
- Press the switch to move the side mirrors up, down, or sideways. Again, you should be able to see just the edge of your car in each mirror.
- Once you’ve made the desired adjustment, check to make sure that you’re seeing everything you need to on either side of your car. If not, repeat the process until you’re satisfied.
Important notes about side mirrors
All standard side mirrors have blind spots where you can’t see other vehicles. This is particularly true of larger or taller vehicles such as trucks and SUVs. Even properly adjusted side mirrors have blind spots, which is why it is critical to look over your shoulder whenever merging into a different lane.
You may need to adjust your side mirrors whenever someone else has driven your car. This could be a friend, family member, or even a valet. If they adjusted the position of the drivers seat or the mirrors, you may not be able to see out of them properly. This is why it is important to check your mirrors every time you get into your car and before you start driving.
If you find yourself having trouble adjusting your side mirrors properly, you may want to consider taking your car into a professional. They will be able to adjust the mirrors for you and make sure that they are in the correct position. This can save you time and hassle, and it will also ensure that your car is safe to drive. Your local car dealership, fire department, or police station is a good place to take your car to for help regarding your side mirrors.
Remember, properly adjusted side mirrors can help improve your visibility and reduce the risk of accidents. So take the time to check and adjust your mirrors regularly, and make sure that they are in good working order before you get on the road.