north carolina CDL Practice Test
0 of 40 questions completed
Welcome to the CDL practice test site for North Carolina. You can use this site to prepare for the official North Carolina DMV CDL Test. The questions on these practice tests apply to all of the areas you’ll need to be knowledgeable in to obtain your NC CDL. You can take these practice tests as many times as you need to, and all of these tests are free. You will be presented with 40 questions and you must answer 34 questions correctly to pass. There is a 50-minute time limit. You may not go back once you answer a question. Click the “Start Test” button below to begin.
You have already completed this test before. You may only take this test once.
Test is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start this test.
You have to finish the following test before you may take this test:
0 of 40 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You scored 0 of 0 points, (0)
- Air Brake, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- Combination Vehicles, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- Double Triple Trailers, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- General, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- Hazardous Material, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- Passenger Vehicle, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- Pre-Trip Inspection, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- School Bus, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- Tanker Vehicles, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
Congratulations! You PASSED the CDL test! You can try it again to brush up on new questions or head down to your local DMV and take the state-administered test!
Ouch! You need to score at least 85% to pass this CDL test–that’s 34 correct questions out of 40. Why don’t you try it again and brush up on some of the questions before taking the real thing. If you need to focus on a specific category, try one of our CDL Category Tests by using the links below.
Air Brakes Combination Vehicles Double & Triple Trailers General Knowledge Hazardous Materials Passenger Vehicles Pre-Trip Inspections School Bus Tanker Vehicles
north carolina Drivers Test
north carolina Motorcycle Test
north carolina CDL Test
CDL Category Practice Tests
CDL General Knowledge Test
Combination Vehicles Test
Passenger Vehicles Test
Pre-Trip Inspections Test
Double/Triple Trailers Test
CDL School Bus Test
CDL Air Brakes Test
Hazardous Materials Test
CDL Tanker Vehicles Test
CDL Practice Test
How To Get A north carolina Commercial Drivers License
To be eligible for a CDL in North Carolina, applicants must meet the following age eligibility requirements.
- Be at least 18 years old to operate a commercial vehicle intrastate (within North Carolina only).
- Be at least 21 years old to operate a commercial vehicle interstate (outside of North Carolina).
North Carolina applicants must provide proof that they are medically fit to operate a commercial vehicle and pass a vision test. Applicants are required to submit the following documents.
- (Form CDL-MED-1) Medical Certification of Driver Type or Commercial Driver’s License
- Medical Card
- Full Medical Report (depending on the circumstances)
Drivers who have had their licenses revoked, suspended, denied or canceled are not eligible for a CDL in North Carolina. Applicants can be disqualified from the application process for having multiple licenses.
North Carolina CDL Endorsements
H – Hazmat Vehicles
N – Tank Vehicles
P – Passenger Vehicles
S – School Bus
T – Double or Triple Trailer
Hit the Open Road
north carolina CDL License Test Tips
All North Carolina CDL applicants must pass the general knowledge test prior to taking the skills test. The general knowledge test consists of 50 questions. To pass the North Carolina test, applicants must score 80 percent or higher. Applicants who require additional endorsements must pass additional tests and pay the required fees. The North Carolina skills test can be taken 14 days after applicants pass the knowledge test. It includes a pre-trip vehicle inspection, basic control skills and on-road driving. Applicants must pass each section.
Military veterans who were discharged within 1 year of the application and current military members can apply to have the skills exam waived if they meet the requirements. To qualify for a waiver, applicants must:
- Be active duty military personnel.
- Have operated a motor vehicle equivalent to a commercial motor vehicle in the military within 2 years of the application date.
- Submit a Certification for Waiver of CDL Skills Test for Military Personnel.
Information on the North Carolina Department of Transportation
The North Carolina Department of Transportation provides administers CDL license requirements in North Carolina. To get more information contact them via:
Additional North Carolina CDL Helpful Links
Please use the links below to access more valuable North Carolina CDL testing resources and to learn more about practice driving tests for the state of North Carolina.
- North Carolina Commercial Driver License Manual
- North Carolina CDL FAQ
- North Carolina Drivers License Practice Test
- North Carolina Motorcycle Test