south dakota CDL Practice Test
0 of 40 questions completed
This is a practice test site for the CDL test in South Dakota. Use this site as a resource as you prepare to take your SD CDL test. You can take these practice tests and go through these questions as many times as you like, and the site is free to use. Questions on these practice tests cover areas such as driving weight requirements and passenger restrictions as covered in the South Dakota CDL Manual. You will be presented with 40 questions and you must answer 34 questions correctly to pass. There is a 50-minute time limit. You may not go back once you answer a question. Click the “Start Test” button below to begin.
You have already completed this test before. You may only take this test once.
Test is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start this test.
You have to finish the following test before you may take this test:
0 of 40 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You scored 0 of 0 points, (0)
- Air Brake, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- Combination Vehicles, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- Double Triple Trailers, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- General, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- Hazardous Material, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- Passenger Vehicle, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- Pre-Trip Inspection, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- School Bus, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
- Tanker Vehicles, CDL, Rules of the Road 0%
Congratulations! You PASSED the CDL test! You can try it again to brush up on new questions or head down to your local DMV and take the state-administered test!
Ouch! You need to score at least 85% to pass this CDL test–that’s 34 correct questions out of 40. Why don’t you try it again and brush up on some of the questions before taking the real thing. If you need to focus on a specific category, try one of our CDL Category Tests by using the links below.
Air Brakes Combination Vehicles Double & Triple Trailers General Knowledge Hazardous Materials Passenger Vehicles Pre-Trip Inspections School Bus Tanker Vehicles
south dakota Drivers Test
south dakota Motorcycle Test
south dakota CDL Test
CDL Category Practice Tests
CDL General Knowledge Test
Combination Vehicles Test
Passenger Vehicles Test
Pre-Trip Inspections Test
Double/Triple Trailers Test
CDL School Bus Test
CDL Air Brakes Test
Hazardous Materials Test
CDL Tanker Vehicles Test
CDL Practice Test
How To Get A south dakota Commercial Drivers License
To be eligible for a CDL in South Dakota, applicants must meet the following age eligibility requirements.
- Be at least 18 years old to operate a commercial vehicle intrastate (within South Dakota only).
- Be at least 21 years old to operate a commercial vehicle interstate (outside of South Dakota).
South Dakota CDL applicants must be medically certified that they are healthy enough to operate a commercial vehicle and pass a vision test. Applicants are required to submit the following documents.
- (REV 2015) Medical Self-Certification Statement
- (Form MCSA-5876) Medical Examiner’s Certificate (This document must be completed by an FMCSA-approved physician.)
Interstate non-excepted (drivers who do not work for the state or federal governments) must meet federal DOT requirements. Intrastate non-excepted drivers must meet the state requirements. Drivers who have had their licenses revoked, suspended, denied or canceled are not eligible for a CDL in South Dakota. Applicants can be disqualified for having multiple licenses.
South Dakota CDL Endorsements
- H – Hazmat Vehicles
- N – Tank Vehicles
- P – Passenger Vehicles
- S – School Bus
- T – Double or Triple Trailer
- X – Combination Tank Vehicles and Hazmat Vehicles
Hit the Open Road
south dakota CDL License Test Tips
All South Dakota CDL applicants must pass the general knowledge test prior to taking the skills test. This test consists of 50 questions. To pass the South Dakota test, applicants must score 80 percent or higher. Applicants who require additional endorsements must pass additional tests and pay the required fees. The South Dakota skills test can be taken 14 days after applicants pass the knowledge test. It includes a pre-trip vehicle inspection, basic control skills and on-road driving. Applicants must pass each section.
Military veterans and current military members can apply to have the skills exam waived if they meet the requirements. To qualify for a waiver, applicants must:
- Be a South Dakota resident with a valid state driver’s license.
- Be currently enlisted in the military.
- Operate a commercial vehicle as part of their military duties for at least 2 years prior to submitting the CDL application. If applicants are in the military reserves or a veteran of the reserves, the vehicle operation requirement is 4 years.
- Have been honorably discharged from the military within the past 12 months.
- Submit (Form CDL-SK TST WVR) Application for Military Skills Test Waiver. The commanding officer must sign this document.
Information on the South Dakota Department of Public Safety
The South Dakota Division of Public Safety administers CDL license requirements in South Dakota. To get more information contact them via:
Additional South Dakota CDL Helpful Links
Please use the links below to access South Dakota CDL testing resources and to learn more about practice driving tests for the state of South Dakota.
- South Dakota Commercial Driver License Manual
- South Dakota CDL FAQ
- South Dakota Drivers License Practice Test
- South Dakota Motorcycle Test